1 oz silver fake kookaburra coin | Silver Unboxing

1 oz silver fake kookaburra coin

In this test I demonstrate using magnets, specific gravity, and destructive testing to show a fake Australian kookaburra. This was bought on ebay 12-10-12. I…

25 Responses to 1 oz silver fake kookaburra coin

1. upgrader99 says:

absolutely true. I have done additional research and the element Molybdenum pretty much is the exact same density as silver. However its magnetic. Also, it has an extremely high melting point which makes manipulation expensive, albeit that its relatively cheap. I saw someone selling molybdenum coins on ebay for 40 a pop.. The density is so similar, you could not mix the proper alloy to not be magnetic however. So you could have a 10 oz bar that has 5oz of Molybdenum inside. scary.

2. clairishe says:

Also, the magnetic slide test isn’t “fool proof” for bars (such as 10 oz and above) because if a very thick silver plating is used then the magnet will still slide down at nearly the same rate (this has been proven on other videos) which would mislead you to believe its a real bar. Its quite reliable for 1 oz items and similar sizes at the present time, but that may not be the case down the road if fakes improve.

3. clairishe says:

At current silver prices 1 ounce density match “alloy” fakes are rare/missing due to low/no margins. 10 oz and above you start seeing alloy fakes very commonly that are very difficult to detect. For 10 oz and above it’s best to use a UTG (ultrasonic thickness gauge. ~$200 to buy a decent one) to test it. A new technique that the fakers use is to make the outer plating very thick so that the scrap test will even be fooled with the exception of drilling a hole and testing the dust/chips.

4. EpicRV says:

That is the one thing the government can never take away….what’s in your mind!

5. YOLO4949 says:

Please do not do a magnet test, I have one giant .999 silver round ( fake ) it even said clad on it and the magnet slide just like yours

6. upgrader99 says:

I don’t recall the name but I believe another viewer posted their username 6 months ago.

7. Micksilver14 says:

Thanks who’s the seller?

8. upgrader99 says:

Thank you sir. Education is what I hold most dear. “Its not what we don’t know that does us wrong, its what we know that ain’t so.” – Will Rodgers.

9. EpicRV says:

very educational

10. upgrader99 says:

Right – you’d have to use a mostly Pb alloy. But there would be so much, that the coin would bend. Now a W based alloy… That’s an interesting thought if mixed with Cu. However, W is paramagnetic and thus no matter what non-magnetic substance you mixed it with, it would fail the magnet test. Also, W has the highest melting point of any metal, thus making the process too expensive… Perhaps? I don’t think the dimensions are possible to fake (this kook was much thicker than a genuine).

11. clairishe says:

They do buy metals on the secondary markets (from individuals) so it is conceivable that they could accidentally resell some fakes (if you rebuy NON-brand name generics), but I can’t say that, that has happened because I don’t know. Its safer to buy the brand name rounds/bars that are minted by these actual dealers (APMEX rounds, Gainesville generics, etc.). Then it is highly unlikely to get a fake because you’re getting the silver DIRECTLY from a reputable source.

12. clairishe says:

There’s a limitless amount of alloys that can be made that will match the density of silver. You just need a metal slightly heavier then silver (tungsten, lead, and several others) as well as one thats slightly lighter (copper, tin, and many others). Lead is cheap, easy to obtain (in China), and is one of the closest metals in density to silver. Lead by itself wont fool most people because the density difference is enough to notice on a scale easily. Thats why people alloy it with tin or copper.

13. upgrader99 says:

Hi Clairishe. So lead is the only thing that can come close to the density of silver… do you have any examples? I’d love to see. Go look at your periodic table and led would be the only thing you would be able to use with a silver plate… although I could most definitely be wrong.

14. clairishe says:

The newer fakes that have been coming into circulation for several years now are not detectable by these tests (except the destructive scraping test). The fakers are using alloys that match the density of silver and then plating the alloy with thin silver plate. There’s got to be some practical way of detecting these types of fakes without using physical damage. Ping test is too unreliable IMO. Perhaps electrical resistance and/or testing the amount of diamagnetism by waving a magnet over it.

15. upgrader99 says:

google “fake silver from apmex” – doesn’t look like it to me. Ebay is where the scams take place. I would never buy numismatic from ebay, but that’s just me.

16. onerugrat says:

has anyone recieved fake silver from ampex for gainsville?

17. gravediggy says:

hey I got a box of koalas and all have the queens crown going through the inner circle and I purchased those from the mint ……. think your wrong on that observation

18. upgrader99 says:

I do not remember if it came in a capsule. I want to say yes, but i’m only 50/50 on that answer.

19. braveheartwarrior says:

did the kook come in a factory capsule?

20. Scott Aaron says:

Thank you for your input! I now have added confidence in what I’m buying.

21. upgrader99 says:

10.52 – 10.65 is absolutely fine. Unless you have scientific scales, and some way of keeping the tested object completely still, you won’t get an accurate reading. Also, you must use distilled water. This test for silver is pretty much 100%. The reason being is that the only other compound that could get the specific gravity right while maintaining shape would be lead with the right nickle or zinc alloy, and that would be WAY obvious unless silver plated. This is NOT a good test for gold.

22. Scott Aaron says:

Thanks upgrader!
    I’ve also noticed a lot of discrepancies with the Silver Maple Leaf as well. Of course the weight is always different, but the specific gravity measurements on mine have been between 10.52 and 10.65. Hardly the “four nines fine” silver that is touted! I would imagine for them to be counterfits they would still have to be roughly 80% silver, so I’m not really worried about them.

23. upgrader99 says:

Hi Scott… So if they are the same diameter, they should also be the same thickness. Otherwise, there’s a break in the law of physics. A fun thing to do is go weigh a penny with a date of 1981 or before, then a penny after 1982. You’ll find a large difference because you’re weighing copper vs zinc.

As far as weight, that’s a little heavier than a standard troy, but i’ve heard mints put more metal in so no one complains. The US on the other hand, has the weight of ASE down to a science.

24. Scott Aaron says:

Question about silver Kookaburras in general. They are the same diameter as the Silver Eagle, however they are thicker. Are they over an ounce of silver then?? They still say one 1oz 999 silver on them. Wikipedia lists them as having a weight of 31.635g.

25. MrVegiita says:

thanks for letting us know of the crook that sell the fake Kooks.